Part One (Introductory)
“ EMDR Australia affirms that the content and presentation of these trainings meets the curriculum requirements published by EMDRIA.“
Presented by Associate Professor Chris Lee or Dr Sarah Schubert. CPD points: 14 hours for the face-to-face training plus 7 hours Pre-workshop Preparation.
Fees: EARYBIRD Fee $620 up to 3 weeks before date of workshop. STANDARD Fee $670 after that. GST included. Discount for full time students $100. Contact Chris Lee with proof of full time status to receive the discount code BEFORE registering. All workshops run 9.00 to 5.00.
The Workshop consists of two days of face to face training and approximately 6-7 hours of Pre-worskhop Preparation, which can be found at the following link.
Melbourne 11-12 September 2018. Treacy Conference Centre, 126 The Avenue, Parkville Click Here to Register Sold Out
Sydney 13-14 September 2018. Rydges World Square, 389 Pitt Street, Sydney Click Here to Register Sold Out
Perth 17-18 October 2018. The Boulevard Centre, 99 The Boulevard, Floreat Click Here to Register
EMDR: Some background The focus of EMDR treatment is the resolution of emotional distress arising from incidents such as automobile accidents, assault, natural disasters, and combat trauma. In addition to PTSD, it is also being used as a treatment for disorders where earlier emotionally traumatic experiences are etiologically related to the person’s current distress. Hence it can be used as a component in the treatment of phobias, panic attacks, depression, substance abuse, complicated grief and personality disorder. EMDR works more rapidly and is less distressing to patients compared with exposure based therapy. The scientific evidence supporting EMDR as a treatment for traumatic memories is now substantial. In 2013 the World Health Organisation and the Australian Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health (Phoenix Australia) both endorsed EMDR as evidence based treatment for PTSD. Bessell van der Kolk stated in a key note address to a combined Australian and New Zealand Psychological Society Conference “if you work with trauma you owe it to yourself and to your clients to know EMDR”.
What you will learn in the standard training
- Review the development of EMDR from its beginnings to the present day.
- Link EMDR with mainstream theory and findings in Information Processing and the Psychobiology of Trauma.
- Observe and practice the eight steps of EMDR treatment.
- Observe and practice strategies to deal with abreactions.
- Observe and practice ways to help clients develop more adaptive and positive beliefs about themselves.
- A wide range of strategies to work with more emotionally vulnerable clients.
- Experience key elements of EMDR as both a client and therapist in 10 hours of closely supervised practicum exercises.
- Receive a detailed (80+ pages) training manual and CD with additional assessment questionnaires, handouts, clinicians guides and research papers.
In this EMDR training, emphasis is placed on the need for a detailed client assessment, and client preparation. Strategies to enhance client safety are covered to assist preparing clients who are more emotionally vulnerable. Much of the workshop will involve you in supervised structured small group exercises. The trainee / supervisor ratio is not greater than nine to one, and additional clinicians with extensive EMDR experience are employed to supervise the practicum. For these reasons, the fee for the workshop is somewhat higher than typical training workshops.